Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mike's Book Corner: Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours


Yes everyone. I read 2 books in a week. Its astounding. (Psst. I might even read a few more. They are addictive you know.)

As I was wandering through the bookstore the other day I stopped to see if through some strange time warp any of my favorite authors had written another book for me to devour. (There is a problem with growing up with TV. When you have to wait more than a week to get the next part of the story, the 5 year old in me starts to scream "BUT WHYYYYYYYYY?????????") This time instead of being disappointed I was a little confused. Here I was looking at Jim Butcher's books (Jim Butcher being the author of the amazing Dresden Files series of books), but the name Spider-Man was on the cover. I am not a regular comic book reader, but I have read a few graphic novels in my time. I grew up watching Spider-Man swinging his way through saturday morning cartoons. Having someone like Jim tell me a story about an old friend was going to be a treat, and it is.

Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours is one of those books that disproves the adage "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words." Jim Butcher uses his writing skills to paint the Marvel Universe to tell an adventure of our friendly neighborhood wall crawler. Peter Parker is grown up now. He's married to his beloved Mary Jane and has a job as a Science Teacher. Then the horror starts. He is given the task of substitute coaching the basketball team. Oh yeah and his old nemisis The Rhino and a trio of nearly unstoppable characters going by the name The Ancients have shown up to ruin Spidey's day.

If you are a fan of Spider-Man or a fan of Jim Butcher, you are going to love this story. If you are a fan of reading cookbooks, then I'm not sure this is the right book for you. But give it a try anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment